2 sticks Unsalted butter, softened
½ C. Plus 3 Tbsp. of sugar
1 ¼ C. Fresh cranberries
1 C. All-purpose flour
½ C. Fine yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. Baking powder
½ tsp. Baking soda
½ tsp. Salt
2 large Eggs
1 Tbsp. Candied ginger, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 ̊
2. Melt 4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) butter in medium skillet over medium heat
3. Add 3 Tbsp. of sugar and stir until it is dissolved.
4. Add cranberries, stir to coat and cook until cranberries begin to pop (about a minute).
5. Pour into a 5-by-9 inch loaf pan, distributing evenly to cover bottom.
6. Let cool.
1. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. Using the mixer, beat remaining 1 ½ sticks butter and ½ cup of sugar on medium speed
until it is pale and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
3. While mixer is running add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each one is added.
4. Reduce to a low speed and slowly add the flour mixture, continue mixing until it is combined.
5. Fold in chopped candied ginger pieces.
6. Pour the mixture into pan over the cranberries and smooth top using a spatula.
1. Place bread pan on rimmed baking sheet and bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean (about 30-35 minutes).
2. Transfer bread pan to wire rack and let bread cool for 15 minutes.
3. Flip bread pan over to remove the loaf from pan and let it continue cooling, cranberry side up.